Friday, November 20, 2009

Safe Wooden Baby Teethers, Rattles, & More

A friend from Winkler posted about a woodworker on our baby forum a few months ago and it stayed in the back of my memory. Barry Lee Loewen of Canadian Woodcrafts is a Morden, Manitoba woodworker who makes safe wood baby products, kitchen utensils, and more. His baby teething rings are smooth and shaped so that babies can hold them easily. They are made with cherry wood and finished naturally with certified organic flax seed oil and orange wax to keep baby happy and safe. They would make a wonderful gift for a new baby or expecting parents. He also makes small, easy to hold wooden rattles and babies first baby spoon. The way the world is now and the terrible products available it is nice to find creative and talented people who are bring child rearing back to nature. Wood will never have issues with recall for BPA or other toxic man made material. These baby goods are not made in a factory in China. They are carved, sanded, and treated by skilled hand by a woodworker who loves what he does.

He carves other kitchen utensils like beautiful, smooth, and natural salad spoons. He also makes hair & shawl pins. He is available for custom work.

I have said this before but I love getting to know the person behind the craft and I have cut a little blurb from his Etsy site:

"I have always loved to work with my hands and simple tools and to create pieces that are both Beautiful and Functional. I have always felt that even simple everyday tools such as a Wooden Spoon should be not only pleasing to the eye but comfortable for the hand as well. For me Wood is a wonderful medium, and I love the natural colors and patterns within each piece. I also Love to combine different woods within a piece to allow there contrasts to compliment one another. With wood the possibilities are endless and I hope to include a great many of them in my shop."

You can keep track of Barry on his blog and Etsy Site:
www.woodenspooncanada.blogspot.com

www.etsy.com/shop/canadianwoodcrafts


No comments: