Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Crystal Nykoluk Ceramics Art Show and Sale

Crystal Nykoluk graduated in 2008 from the University of Manitoba Fine Arts Department with an Honors Degree in Ceramics.  Her ceramics have a cozy earthy feel because she finds inspiration in nature.   Each piece is functional and very much a work of art.  Crystal is having an art show and sale on December 19th, 2010 at 741 McMillan from 2pm-8pm.  It will be a very cozy atmosphere to showcase all her ceramic art.  Along with Crystal and her art, Michael Cann & Kurt Wood will be found playing some music for the shoppers.  Have a peak at her website below for more info and photos of her ceramics.  Crystal describes her style:

"I build all my work using soft slabs of clay and also sometimes using molds.   I really enjoy making abstract textures using clay, and I incorporate this element into all my work as well.  No two objects I make are ever identical!  I get much inspiration from simply observing the world as I go through it.  The way frost plays out on a window, the grain of wood as it runs around knots in a tree, cracked soil, and broken rock.  My work is wood-fired.  To be able to wood-fire I depend on the generosity of friends who have wood-burning kilns.  I also fire in a small electric kiln out at my studio in Anola Manitoba.
 

I really believe that you get out of life what you put into it.  A life surrounded by handmade objects is a way of soothing the soul and satisfying your right to be individual.  We need to show the world we care about what we own.  We care where it comes from and we care about ourselves!"


Crystal Nykoluk Ceramics
crystalnykolukceramics.wordpress.com

No comments: